These amazing chargrilled lamb skewers from Frank Camorra are out of this world. Chargrilling adds a flavour unsurpassed by any cooking done over gas or electricity. The food takes on the smoky flavour of the wood from the embers. To chargrill make a decent sized fire of hardwood then let the fire die down and cook the meat over the coals. . These pinchitos are excellent straight from the grill.
- 1 kg lamb leg meat / boned and all sinew removed
- 2 tablespoons freshly roasted and ground cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoons sweet smoky Spanish paprika
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 small handful parsley / chopped
- 2 gloves garlic, finely minced
- 110 ml fino sherry
- 60 ml olive oil
- 60 ml extra fino sherry
- 1/2 teaspoon extra cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon extra paprika
- 1 lemon
- Cut the lamb into approximately 1 centimetre cubes.
- Place the lamb in the bowl and mix in the spices, salt, parsley, garlic, 110 ml sherry and olive oil. Mix well. Cover, refrigerate and allow to marinate overnight turning 2 or 3 times during this period.
- Thread the marinated lamb onto 30 cm metal skewers. Spread the meat along the skewers and don’t bunch it up too tightly. If there are longer pieces then thread them lengthways. This allows the meat to cook evenly.
- Make a basting liquid by mixing the extra sherry, cayenne pepper and sweet paprika. Place a fork in the curved side of the half lemon to make a fruity basting brush.
- Place the skewers over medium to hot charcoal for 15-20 minutes turning and basting several times each side.
- Remove from heat and allow to rest before serving.