Caramelised pear, witlof, watercress, goats cheese mousse and aged balsamic vinegar
- 3 firm pear
- 1 green witlof, leaves picked and washed
- 1 red witlof, leaves picked and washed
- 60 gm watercress
- Handful picked parsley
- Handful picked sorrel
- Aged balsamic vinegar
- Goats cheese mousse (see below)
- Pickled baby carrot
- 50gm toasted walnuts
- Extra virgin olive oil
Goats cheese mousse
- 150gm goats cheese
- 225gm cream
- ¾ sheet gelatine
- salt to taste
- Soften the gelatine in ice water.
- In a food processor combine the goats cheese and 20gm of cream and blend until smooth.
- Whip 115gm of cream to a firm peak and set aside in the fridge.
- Heat 60gm of the cream just enough to dissolve the gelatine. Add the gelatine to the hot cream, making sure it is fully dissolved.
- Combine the hot cream back with the remaining 30gm and fold in the blended goats cheese.
- Fold in the whipped cream and add a pinch of salt. Place in the fridge to set for at least 2 hours.
Pickling mix (Pickled carrots)
- 125gm white wine vinegar
- 125gm water
- 75gm salt
- 75gm sugar
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- Combine all the ingredients in a pot and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat and leave to steep for 15mins.
- Meanwhile slice the baby carrots very thinly on a mandolin.
- Bring the pickling mix back to the boil and pass through a strainer. Pour the hot pickling liquid over the carrot and leave to cool.
Cut the pear into quarters and remove the seeds with a small paring knife. Heat a small knob of butter in a pan and allow the pear slices to caramelise for a couple of minutes on both sides. Remove from the heat and set aside.
Finely slice the witlof and combine with the watercress, parsley, sorrel, pickled carrots and walnuts. Add the pear, olive oil to dress and a pinch of salt. Mix the salad and transfer to a serving plate. Finish with the goats cheese mousse and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.Pin It