Forget those sports drinks! Keep yourself hydrated this summer with this wonderfully refreshing salad containing protein for energy, and its naturally high fluid levels, vitamins, and electrolytes.
- 6 cups seedless watermelon, cut into cubes, well chilled
- 1 cup feta, crumbled
- ½ Spanish red onion, finely sliced
- 2 Lebanese cucumber, cut into cubes
- ¼ cup kalamata olives, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup mint leaves, chopped
- 1/3 cup white balsamic vinegar (or normal balsamic vinegar)
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
- Mix the chopped mint, balsamic vinegar, olive oil and salt and pepper together then simply pour over remaining ingredients and serve.
Tips and variations:
- For a bit of spice you could add a pinch of chilli powder or, a few drops of tobacco sauce.
- You might also like to add two large handfuls of watercress or baby spinach or rocket etc. to the salad immediately before serving.
- Add to, or replace the mint with coriander or basil.
- For some fun plating presentation, try cutting the watermelon, feta, cucumber, and onion into the same size cubes, and make a rubik’s cube out of them, add a sprig of mint on the top, and serving the olives beside it with a little of the dressing in individual bowls.