Because the shape of Chinese dumplings looks like a silver ingot – a kind of ancient Chinese money, Chinese people believe eating dumplings during the New Year festival will bring more money and wealth for the coming year.
- 650g pork belly,roughly chopped
- 2cm ginger, peeled (or 1/2 tsp ground ginger)
- 2 teaspoons onion flakes
- 1 tablespoon water chestnuts, sliced
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2teaspoon black pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon Chinese rice wine
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Packet of wonton wrappers
- Add all ingredients to food processor and whizz up, until fine.
- Place 1/2 tsp of filling in centre of wonton wrapper.
- Wet edges and fold over pressing tightly, pushing all air out.
- Place dumplings onto baking paper, and cover with a damp towel, until ready to cook.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in frying pan.
- Cook dumplings in batches of 8-10. Place dumplings in a bamboo steamer, and steam for 15 minutes
- Remove from pan and keep warm in oven while cooking second batch
Serve with your favourite store-bought dipping sauce, or soy sauce.